Monday, November 7, 2011

NCAA Pimps and Whores

George Bernard Shaw once found himself at a dinner party, seated beside an attractive woman. "Madam," he asked, "would you go to bed with me for a thousand pounds?" The woman blushed and rather indignantly shook her head.

"For ten thousand pounds?" he asked. "No. I would not." "Then how about fifty thousand pounds?" he contined.

The colossal sum gave the woman pause, and after further reflection, she coyly replied: "Perhaps." "And if I were to offer you five pounds?" Shaw asked.

"Mr. Shaw!" the woman exclaimed. "What do you take me for!" "We have already established what you are," Shaw calmly replied. "Now we are merely haggling over the price."

I noticed during a commercial during the LSU - Alabama game on Saturday that "I'd rather see ya in a Kia" is the "official" car company of the Southeast Conference. Wow!! Who knew that the Southeast Conference needed an official car company? The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but one can surmise that it was more than a grand or two.

This piggy backed on Saturday's report that Penn State's former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was arrested for years of sexual abuse of minors. Along with Sandusky, the Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and Gary Schulz, Vice President for Finance and Business, were also charged for covering up the incidents. Coach Joe Paterno was aware of some of this, and made a single report to his boss, which he was required legally to do...then did nothing. My oh my oh my.

Let's see. This is on top of an NCAA investigation of the University of Miami related to big money prostitution excursions provided to Hurricane football players by a man serving extended prison time for running a Ponzi scheme close to, but not quite as big, as Bernie Madoff's.

To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw...NCAA, we've already established what you are. Now we are negotiating the price.

Now let me see, while the SEC is selling itself to Kia Motors, and Penn State is pimping young boys, and the University of Miami is providing high priced hookers to players....Ohio State is forced to sack Jim Tressel because several of his players exchanged memorabilia that they owned for tattoos.

I rest my case.

No comments: