Saturday, February 12, 2011

SafeAuto's Ball Commercial

Violence in the media has always been with us. I remember when I was small my parents forbade me from watching the Three Stooges, whose physical antics bordered on abusive. That being said, when violence is on the uptick in our society, enough is enough.

Case in point was the Super Bowl commercials last week. There was not a standout commercial in the bunch; and a few were just plain offensive. Pepsi is the grand prize winner for hitting people with cans. In both of the 1st quarter Pepsi commercials, people were physically hit with a can of Pepsi. The can to the groin in the Pepsi light commercial was not funny. The Pepsi can hurled by an African American woman at her husband but hitting a white woman by mistake almost started a racial crisis in Congress this past week.

But the super grand prize winner for being offensive at every level was the SafeAuto commercial which featured a series of men being physically kicked in the groin, over and over again, ending with another poor fellow getting kicked in the ass. Do they really think that is funny? Do they really not think that some kids would find this commericial worth imitating?

This is about as an offensive commercial as I have seen. Can you imagine a commercial where a woman is being continually hit or abused let alone kicked in the crotch? In addition, it is just plain dangerous. Men can be seriously injured by this type of behavior resulting in impotence or worse. This is not behavior to be taken lightly on television shows, movies, and especially commercials which are repeated on a regular basis. I have seen this offensive commercial several times since the Super Bowl, last night during dinner.

One of my pet peeves is the treatment of men in the media generally. In movies and television we are portrayed as Neanderthals, brutish, stupid, sex craved, inept and inadequate. I have written about this before several times, and once again I am compelled to write about it. No other group in our society, except for maybe those who are overweight, is singled out for such stereotypical and offensive portrayals.

I don’t have a man cave. I try to treat my wife with respect. I help out around the house. I work hard. I try to be thoughtful and considerate to those around me. I hope I have been a good father. I don’t belch beer. I may not be the smartest person on earth, but I am not stupid just because I am a guy.

Stereotypes are bad for everybody. Add violence to the mix, don’t be surprised when you see kids kicking the hell out another kid on the evening news after posting it on You Tube. Just remember that SafeAuto commercial. You saw it there first. Shame on them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You expressed my sentiments exactly. Why am I the first comment? Is this type of violation of women an abominable horror, but of men it is a guffawing joke? Violation is violation.

Anonymous said...

Disgusting, putrid commercial. Probably appreciated by the low IQ, irresponsible types who buy Safe Auto insurance. Hope no one buys their crappy insurance.

Anonymous said...

I find this commercial to be in very poor taste. Would you like your children to imitate this behavior. Not funny in the least and every man who has this insurance should switch to some other company.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the SafeAuto commercial I'd like to see the CEO of Safeauto have his pants pulled down and someone really kick him in the groin. As well as the person who came up with the commercial. I mean, I'm totally disgusted, just repulsed! Someone needs to contact SA about this trash! Hmmmm, maybe I will.