Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mea Culpobama and the Royal I

For all of you non-Catholics, the confession part of the old Latin Mass says “Mea Culpa; Mea Culpa: Mea Maxima Culpa.” I have sinned “through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.” Of course, in good Catholic fashion, one beats one's chest three times in sync with the words.

But now it has new meaning: Mea Culpobama. Once more into the breach, our stellar president addressed the United Nations yesterday beating his chest, apologizing for America’s faults. Then he waived the Kum Ba Yah flag saying:

“Responsibility and leadership in the 21st century demand more. In an era when our destiny is shared, power is no longer a zero sum game. No one nation can or should try to dominate another nation. No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed. No balance of power among nations will hold. The traditional division between nations of the south and north makes no sense in an interconnected world. Nor do alignments of nations rooted in the cleavages of a long gone Cold War.”

In well fell swoop, he dissed NATO, the European Union, the Organization of American States, our alliances with Japan and South Korea, all the while letting know the dictators in Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, and our "frienemies" Russia and China, and any other rogue state, that we will not impose our will on them. Shout Glory to God and Hallelujah. We have seen the light!!

Couple this with his throwing Israel under the bus, and former Jimmy Carter’s national security advisor, and ardent Obama supporter Zbigniew Brzezinski, stating the United States should shoot down Israeli planes flying over Iraq in any possible raid on Iran, we should all just feel all cuddly and warm inside.

There is no doubt in my mind that Barack Obama is clueless, naïve, and is basing his foreign policy not on reality, but rather his Pollyanna view of the world. This might be based in a basic ignorance of foreign policy and his inexperience. But I suspect it is rooted in a narcissism rooted in his elite ideology based on his superior world view. His speech basically told the world to ignore all the bad things the United States did over the past 60 years; look at what he did the last 9 months. And he used the word “I” a lot.

I come before you humbled by the responsibility that the American people have placed upon me; mindful of the enormous challenges of our moment in history; and determined to act boldly and collectively on behalf of justice and prosperity at home and abroad.

I am well aware of the expectations that accompany my presidency around the world.

I took office at a time when many around the world had come to view America with skepticism and distrust.

I have carried this message from London to Ankara; from Port of Spain to Moscow; from Accra to Cairo.

I prohibited - without exception or equivocation - the use of torture by the United States of America.



I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed, and we are doing the hard work of forging a framework to combat extremism within the rule of law.

I have outlined a comprehensive agenda to seek the goal of a world without nuclear weapons.

I appointed a Special Envoy for Middle East Peace.

I will also continue to seek a just and lasting peace between Israel, Palestine, and the Arab world.

Well, you get the picture. It must be wonderful to him. After he went through his personal litany of accomplishments, he did tell the world that it will have to step up to the plate and carry some of the water for world peace. But at the end of the day, that isn’t going to happen. The weakness demonstrated in this speech is dangerous, especially after scrapping the defensive missile program to be located Poland and the Czech Republic, and equivocating on troops in Afghanistan.

The number one rule of political science is that a power vacuum is always filled. Obama is digging us into a black hole. In the meantime, while he is digging the hole, do you think he can swap his royal "I" with the royal "we"? I am just being overcome by my awe of his greatness, and need to collect myself.

No comments: