Thursday, July 16, 2009

He's Gonna Pay My Mortgage...Literally

I think we all like to believe that we have good hearts. I know whenever I am able, I try to help folks in need in any way that I can. Even mean lawyers do substantial amounts of pro-bono work, and rarely toot their horns or ask for any recognition in return. I truly believe that for the most part, the human race is fundamentally good and compassionate.

On the other hand, being good and compassionate should not be confused with being a sucker. And two recent articles that I read show that the government spending binge has crossed the line and is now going to sucker punch the American public. At some point in time, the give-a-ways have to stop, and people need to take responsibility for their own lives. What a man the President is giving away other people’s money. If I could do that, I would be a big shot too.

Reuter’s News Service reported the following on July 14: “Officials are also considering whether the government should make mortgage payments on behalf of borrowers who cannot keep up with their home loans, tapping an unused portion of a $50 billion housing aid kitty.” Why? I ask you, has any one, at any time, ever paid your rent? The plan under consideration would tack rent on as a rental stipend to extended unemployment benefits.

In addition, The Denver Post has reported that the Colorado is considering a plan to give free cell phone service to those receiving public aid as part of a public assistance program for utilities. How about that? Free cell phone service!! What do you pay for your cell phone service? I didn’t know that cell phone service was a necessity of life…but this same plan is currently in operation in 17 states. Why? Who has paid for your cell phone?

It is clear that we are reaching the tipping point. As the Obama supporter claimed in last fall’s campaign, “I won’t have to worry about putting gas in my car. I won’t have to worry about paying my mortgage.”

The liberal goal of a total "cradle to grave" nanny state is here. From free health care to free pre-school to free food to free rent to free utilities to free college….except the question still remains, who will pay for it? The answer is easy…you and I. And what the government offers as free, will be sustenance level at best. If you want to know what we are headed for, look at the former Soviet Union, and you will see what free will buy.

No comments: