Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm Not Nuts...Really!

No, I am not nuts. I have been political all of my life. But in the category of “you know you are in trouble when...", lately my friends have been going the other direction when they see me. Let’s not even mention all of the spam rules I must be violating when I send my blog out every week. Who wants to read what I have to say?

But at the end of the day, I am right. Our government and our lives are being taken over by a bunch of do-gooders hell bent on making sure that we do what they think is right for us. A case in point is the effort by New York City and New York State to eliminate salt in food. Mayor Bloomberg is proposing that salt shakers be taken off of tables and that restaurants be limited in the amount of sodium that goes into their food preparation. A bigger whacko in the state legislature wants to eliminate salt from food altogether. Although this seems ludicrous and funny on its face, the fact that it is being considered at all is scary.

Case in point: a school tries to expel a six year old boy for having a GI Joe ½” plastic gun in school. Case in point: a school accuses a 13 year old of using drugs while taking a picture of him in his bedroom using a remotely activated camera on a school computer place in his bedroom. Case in point: the United States is going to be preparing reports outlining all of our human rights violations to give to the United Nations. Case in point: the Attorney General of the United States wants to try the terrorist mastermind behind 9/11 in a civilian court in NYC to show the “strength” of our justice system…after reading everybody their Miranda rights…of course.

The biggest do-gooder boondoggle is Obama’s health care reform plan. The President of the United States stands ready to destroy our Republic by legal machinations which could result in the health care bill being “deemed” passed without a vote. It is legalistic and complicated. He and his cohorts are hoping you don’t understand it. I do. It makes me physically ill and emotionally sad to see what they are doing to the country…in the name of do-gooding. I think it borders on treason, and I believe that history will show I am right.

In the meantime, in the name of do-gooding, the government death panels are already in place outlining which procedures will be allowed under Medicare, and which won’t, based on the cost of the procedure and the age of the recipient. These are the worst kind of death panels because they operate in a bureaucratic fog allowing us to see only their edicts…not their faces.

No, I am not nuts. I am sixty years old as the government moves in to take over my health care in ways unimaginable just a year ago, and wonder if I will die five years early because Obama’s cost effectiveness panel thinks I may be too old for prostate surgery, or a hip replacement, or cataract surgery…and the government outlaws private insurance to pay for it, and puts doctors in jail for operating outside the system. The current proposal doesn't necessarily do that, but comes close. Hillary-care did include those types of provisions.

No, I am not nuts. I am a lawyer who knows how these things work. No matter the intention of the do-gooder at the start, it morphs into something evil.

So if my friends want to walk away as I watch this travesty in Washington, I know they will be coming back to me in 10 years complaining about the results of what is happening today. One thing I have learned in my profession, it’s always better to stop these sorts of things before they start than it is to try to fix them later. They may be unfixable…and I may be dead. For that reason alone, I am not nuts.

No comments: