Friday, September 10, 2010

Godspell: WOW WOW WOW

Usually I get to rant about something outrageous. But tonight, thanks to Marlene Strollo, I get to rant about Move Over Broadway’s boffo version of Godspell playing this weekend at St. Michael’s Church in Canfield. The only bad thing I can say about it is you better see it tonight (Saturday) or tomorrow night. It’s a shame it is only running for one weekend. Word of mouth could keep this going for a month.

Godspell is a 1970’s Broadway musical based on the Gospel of Matthew. There are widely known songs: Prepare Ye The Way (new to me) and, of course, Day by Day. I've never seen Godspell. I had some general knowledge as to the type of play it was. I am friends with a number of the cast members and had some concerns. It is a youth oriented hippie type musical. Is the cast too old? Is the play too dated? Is there too much choreography (think Sister Act and Sister Act 2, especially the Joyful Joyful sequence)? I even joked with one cast member about renaming this production Geriatric Godspell!!!

I was wrong. What the audience got was WOW-WOW-WOW!!! Ms. Strollo put together an eclectic, extremely talented cast of all ages, some of whom cartwheeled down the center aisle at the end of the show. These are superb amateur musicians who turned on the energy from the very first note and kept it going as it greeted the audience going out the door at the end of the performance. It was infectious. It was fun. It was inspiring.

No, the cast wasn’t too old. No, the play wasn’t too dated…it was as fresh as when it was written. No, the cast handled complicated, non-stop choreography with ease. The visuals on stage were terrific. Choreographer Nick Opritza outdid himself on this one.

It's hard to name standout cast members when it's pretty much all of them, but I'll try. If I leave someone out, please forgive me because they were all so good.

The lead (Jesus) is played by Mark Samuel. His history wasn't in the program notes, but I understand he came late to the cast. I had my doubts at the beginning of the show, but he made me a believer by the end. His humor and confidence fit the role to a tee, and the Passion scenes, particularly the Last Supper, gave me chills. His outstanding falsetto at the end of the program shows this guy knows what he is doing.

Tom Gent, a perennial local favorite, showed his talents again in a dual role of Judas and John the Baptist. His solid voice adds gravitas to any show he is in. Mr. Gent and Mr. Samuel stopped the show with their tap dancing/singing duet All for the Best.

Showstopper #2 was By My Side performed by Sarah Sobota and Brooke Fusco, both students at South Range High School…lucky South Range. We can only hope that they both decide to stay in the area so we can enjoy their talents in the years to come.

The same can be said about Hogan Russell whose All Good Gifts shows he ready for Broadway now. Another South Range student…I can hardly wait for their school play.

The same can be said about Tim Harkleroad and his version of We Beseech Thee…another South Range High School student…what are they putting in the food out there? They must grow talent by the bushel in the hinterland.

JoAnne Santagata shocked the house with her Sophie Tucker/Mae West bump and grind Jesus seduction song Turn Back, Oh Man. What a hoot. I didn’t know she had it in her…but she does in spades.

And Grace Vouvalis brightened the stage with her winning smile and rock the house number Bless the Lord. She’s a grown up!!! And doesn’t go to South Range, but we can forgive her for that!

One of the biggest treats of the night was Nikita Jones’ version of Day by Day. It brought a tear to my eye. She is a real talent and her rendition was stunning. I am really looking forward to seeing her in other productions.

The balance of this ensemble cast gave a strong choral and dance performance way beyond what anyone should expect in this type of production. Music Director Jodine Pilmer always does a great job in getting the amateur MVOB chorus to sound like pros, not to mention the accompanying musicians. This was no exception. It was like listening to the cast recording…which I did when I got home.

And here’s the secret…this was better. One of the ironies of Community Theater is that when it is good, the intimate setting and the enthusiasm of the cast always pushes it from good to way, way beyond real good. In this case, short of Broadway itself, I doubt if you would find a better version of Godspell anywhere.

It was a real treat for me to set aside the worries of the world and be inspired by this great show. Thank you to Marlene Strollo and her Move Over Broadway associates. Do more stuff like this!!!!

No comments: